The community-outreach program that IGY Marinas calls Inspire Giving through You returns in 2017.
Initiated earlier this year, Inspire Giving through You brings together the company’s corporate and marina employees, plus yacht owners, captains, and crew. They perform community-service projects in the areas where IGY Marinas’ properties are located. These include American cities like New York, as well as islands and towns in the Caribbean and Latin America. “Our mission for 2017 is to inspire even more members in the industry to join us in giving back to the destinations where we live, work, and travel,” says Tom Mukamal, IGY Marinas’ CEO.
The first programs for 2017 occur on February 25, starting at these locations:
- Marina Santa Marta, in Columbia. Inspire Giving through You participants will help the non-profit Fundehumac rebuild its school ceiling. The organization provides education and other programs to children in need.
- Marina Cabo San Lucas, in Mexico. Volunteers will spruce up a school focused on social responsibility and human development. Tasks include purchasing desks and school supplies, painting the building, repairing the roof, and creating a recreation area.
- Rodney Bay Marina, in St. Lucia. Volunteers here will head out to a home sheltering children suffering from abuse, making it even more aesthetically welcoming. Adding a gazebo is one of the goals.
- Yacht Haven Grande and American Yacht Harbor, in St. Thomas. IGY Marinas staff and visitors at these two properties will build a Hydrologic Environmental Learning Center for a junior high school. The center will feature a greenhouse, raised planting beds, an orchard, as well as an outdoor science lab.
- Blue Haven Marina, in Turks & Caicos. You can help make an outdoor play area, complete with a sand pit and fence, for children with autism assisted by a local learning center.
IGY Marinas’ two St. Maarten properties have not yet revealed their Inspire Giving through You plans, although they will occur on the same date.
If your cruising plans will take you to any of these above-mentioned areas in February and you’d like to volunteer, contact Vivienne Yaple at IGY Marinas. You can also contact her to make a donation.
Inspire Giving through You efforts will continue elsewhere in summertime, too, just as they did earlier this year. We’ll provide details on those when they’re available.